Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Winter


Sometimes we head out to the yard, Jude and I, just the two of us on a cold gray depressing January day. Jude is dressed like that kid in A Christmas Story who can't put his arms down. I am armed with a giant bubble wand thing we got for Christmas and my travel cup full of hot coffee and we are good to go. The snow is crunchy and hard and we go scrunching around on it until that bores us and we look around for squirrels. They are smarter than we are, apparently. No squirrels.

Jude climbs the playground equipment and stands on the top, yelling for me to catch him from six feet up. This is bad enough in the summer but now big snow boots are hurtling towards my face at an alarming speed. I catch him and somehow manage to stay standing. Who says women aren't strong?

"Want bubbles? Want big one?" "I want bubbles," I remind Jude, "you want bubbles,” he repeats, no, I say, and we both laugh. I know he knows and he knows I know he knows, what? how to speak in first person. He is supposed to, but who cares, we just want to play, and so we do, I start blowing these giant monster bubbles that seem so out of place on this barren day. They float up past the warm happy windows of my friends and family who are stacked high watching sports and relaxing. I remember slow Sunday afternoons and being bored. I think. That's okay. I don't miss it much. A big, colored bubble sails slowly past Jude's head.

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch? I ask him. No response.

I bend over to refill the bubble thing and whap! I am stung by a wad of snow , right on my forehead, it hurts tremendously and I look up and Jude has this impish look on his face and he runs away laughing, my son hit me with a snowball, well isn't that normal and I am pleased.
Not in the face, Jude, I call, but he is off eating snow in the corner of the garden. This is something I cannot prevent so I look away to prevent having a panic attack about germs and pigeon poo.

It is cold, and depressing, and Christmas is over and my house is dirty but it is hard enough to muster the will to live let alone clean for Pete’s sake, so I drink my coffee and watch my son putter around in the snow. He could stay out for hours; I will probably end up promising him fast food to get him in. Sigh. Maybe I will have some too.

Soon it will be spring and the yard will be full of friends who seem so much nicer and interesting when there is fresh air between us, playing guitars and happy half dressed kids running around in the sprinkler. Until then we will crunch around this arctic tundra, Jude and I, sharing moments only we can know, and that is okay for now, enough for me on a frozen winter's day.

No comments: