Sunday, December 17, 2006

Winter Light


We went to the zoo last night, with some friends. Lincoln Park Zoo hosts the Zoo Lights, with Christmas lights and animals and Santa and stuff. We went with Joe and Tania and their kids. Joey is Jude's age, and he is autistic, too. It is nice to be with people who understand.

It was a beautiful night, warm and breezy, and there was Christmas music and the boys held hands as we walked around in the night air.

Every time we walked under the speakers Jude would dance, arms waving, and the people would step around him, and he was oblivious to them, only hearing the music. Perfect.

When we got home there was a Christmas card from a friend waiting, with one of my favorite quotes from Willa Cather:

Where there is great love, there are always miracles.

I used to say that to myself, confident in my great love for my children, which seemed so fathomless and all consuming, an entity unto itself, it could make anything happen. Move mountains. Teach my son to speak and read.

My son does speak, and he is learning to read. But tonight I am not waiting for a miracle. The miracle is here, the miracle is that I realize the miracle and the great love are one in the same. The miracle is watching my son dance in the misty lights and not wishing or wanting for one single thing.

Hallelujah. Glory to God.
Merry Christmas.

No comments: