Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Signs and Wonders

I am bathing Eden, trying not to look at his swollen knee. I can hear Jude shrieking down the hallway, hear the frustration in Don's voice as he tries to calm him down. Sage comes in, wanting to tell me something, and I snap at him because I am really, truly on overload. I bury my face in a towel, and beg God. Please, a sign, a spark of hope. Show me everything will be alright.

I look around. No burning bushes, no shafts of light. Oh well.

Bertie the Bus got left outside, that is the source of Jude's shrieking. I hand Eden off to Don with instructions to towel dry and head downstairs to the yard. I get outside and poor Bertie is sitting, all alone, on the bench, looking forlorn. Forgotten.

God, I am losing it.

I go inside, and Neil, my pastor stops me. Hey, he says, I have something to show you. Let me get this book. I stand there while he searches for it, thinking that Jude is screaming upstairs.

He gets out a book called, "Holy Listening."
He opens it to a highlighted page.

This is what I read:
"When a formerly autistic child was asked what parents were for, she replied, 'They hope for you.'"

I stand without speaking, and then begin to sob. Neil is used to this sort of display from me, he has known me a long time. I hug him and head upstairs.

Jude is sitting quietly on Don's lap, and Eden is next to them, wrapped in a towel with serious retro '80's hair, and they are watching Winnie the Pooh. Sage is sitting on the floor reading, and I look at them, and I think I am surrounded by signs and wonder and gifts and mercies, and I forget, only counting the bad things, listing them, forgetting the miracles that are right in front of me each and every day.


No comments: